Friday, August 26, 2011

Be Still


I was reading in Exodus this morning and came across this verse:  “The LORD will fight for you; you need only be still. Exodus 14:14.

  That started my mind rolling into reflection over the past few weeks.  I’ve been in Romania.  I’m here to be a part of the ministry to the Roma people. Yet, the past few weeks I have done very little.  We have been without a car and many of the others involved in the ministry have been unavailable to taxi us anywhere. Thus, I have spent a lot of time chilling, reading, praying, etc.

   I was talking with my mom on the phone the other night and she was asking what was going on.  When I told her we still hadn’t been out much she had that “only mom can understand” tone in her voice.  She knows me, better than any other human on this earth. She knows I get restless after even half a day of having nothing intentional to do.  Her response: “Well, I guess God is teaching you to rest and know that He is God.” 
Psalm 46:10 “Be still & know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”

As I read and reflected on these verses, this is what spilled out on my journal pages:

Sometimes I get so caught up in doing and fighting and pursuing that I neglect to be still. These last few weeks I have learned a lot about my addiction to business. I’ve learned my desires have often been misguided. I think I often want to serve and help others because of the joy it brings me & the joy I see in the faces of those I serve. Yet, my greatest desire is to love, honor & glorify the Lord and serve Him whether it brings me joy or not. Sometimes He asks us to do hard things. Sometimes He asks us to just be still.

   When we are still we can no longer drown out the voice of truth in our lives. When we are still we are more aware of the condition of our heart. When we are still, we can fully realize the power & glory of God. When we are still we have the choice to focus on ourselves, on others or on our Heavenly Father. When we are still we can listen and hear the voice of the Holy Spirit. When we are still the excuses fall away. When we are still our hearts are challenged in true worship. When we are still God can be exalted.

   When we are still we are often forced to honesty. In response to honesty we are often drawn to repentance, and when we repent we are made new. When we are still we can surrender; in surrender, the Lord will fight for us.

   There may not have been a lot that went on externally these past few weeks.  However, God has been at work in mighty ways in my heart.  Granted, first I had to struggle through my stubbornness and lack of willingness to BE STILL.  Once I got over that, however, God didn’t waste any time.  The frustration and discontent that I originally faced this time of rest melted away and in their place a sense of gratefulness.  I know the things God has taught me the past few weeks have the potential to effect my life & ministry in the future.  May God be exalted!!!

1 comment:

Adrian W. said...

This really resonates with me because I love being still, but I rarely seem to do it.

Our theme at MCC this year is actually "Be", and there's a different verb for each month. Surprisingly, "still" isn't one of them. I was disappointed, but it seems like that really echoes how we understand Christianity at large - we must be doing in order to be being.

Thankfully, at chapel yesterday, Pres. Ingram did note this in part of his address. He said, "We must silence the unnecessary in order to hear the necessary," and I think that really hits what you're getting at here.