Thursday, August 11, 2011

ASK, SEEK, KNOCK

Here's a glimpse into the journey of my heart...

The other day someone said, “I can see how God takes up a big part of your life.” While I believe it was meant as a compliment, it was truly disturbing to me. It ended up being a phrase that has haunted my thoughts and caused me to examine my heart and life more honestly. Questions have been popping up and causing my heart and mind to seek humility and honesty before my loving Heavenly Father. Questions like these:

What part of my life might I be holding back from God? What times in my life am I NOT displaying the fruits of the Spirit? If God’s call is total surrender, how can I consider myself a devoted believer if I am not letting God take up my WHOLE life? Am I really following the desires of my own heart and seeking to fulfill my own dreams rather than seeking the desires and plans my all-knowing Father has for my life? Am I truly listening to the Holy Spirit in my life, or is another voice convincing me to seek worldly truth and pleasures? God what do you want me to learn right now?

Now, don’t get me wrong. I’m not freaking out and having some sort of identity crisis. I still have no doubt that I am a daughter of the Most High King. However, even a “princess” needs to grow and mature and sometimes that involves a little self-examination. Sometimes a child of God needs a hearing check because they have mistaken the voice of the world for THE voice of Truth.

Yet, I consider myself abundantly blessed. There are 66 books of the Bible filled with the Truth of God! I have a God who loves me enough to sacrifice His only Son! I have a High Priest who constantly intercedes for me! I have a Savior whose grace and mercy know no bounds! I have the everlasting gift of the Counselor, Holy Spirit, who speaks truth to my heart and guides me with like no human ever could!

So yes, I may I have questions, but I have a God who is ready and willing to help me find the answers. In Luke 11:9-13 Jesus tells us, “So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

So here I go:
I’m going to ask…and be answered
I’m going to seek…and find
I’m going to knock..and watch the door be opened
All because I have a Savior who forgives me, a God who covers me in grace, and the Holy Spirit who counsels me
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Adrian W. said...

Beautifully written and well thought out. These struggles resonate with me and probably would with most people our age, regardless of religious beliefs.