Saturday, July 2, 2011

Joy Made Complete

Little Nicoletta never stops smiling!

 This week we had a three day camp at a village called Doh. It is one of the smaller villages, so we only had 15 to 20 kids, but they were wonderful. They were eagerly waiting our arrival each day and excited for each activity.  They quickly caught on to the many songs we taught them & were very attentive to the Bible lessons. Every kid played with all their might at each game we taught them.  They also treasured their craft creations. Beyond all that, they displayed true joy. It kept striking me each day how beautiful and genuine their smiles were.
Their joy could not be suppressed by the lives they live. They had no concern for the dirt on their faces or clothes. The color of their clothes mattered not; the holes in their clothes or shoes couldn't distract. The coughs and runny noses couldn't keep them at home. The shack we met in didn't turn them away. The diaper-less babies still sat on welcoming laps. The joy continued to abound! Their smiles were not hindered by the fact that a third of the people leading camp couldn't speak Romanian. Even beyond this, many of the younger children can't even speak Romanian yet and only speak Gypsy. Yet, frustration was nowhere to be found & in it's place and inexpressible joy.

 God has been pushing and prodding me over the past 6 months regarding the level of materialism I allow to penetrate my heart, mind and life. I've been realizing more and more that my focus can so often sway toward material desires. If I were to measure the amount of time I spend in a day thinking about material things compared to the amount of time I spend thinking about God, His Word, His purpose and His glory I wonder what would be larger? What truly consumes my heart and mind? What is my true focus?
 So, as I spend time with these joyful children I long to learn from them. I desire to seek joy from the fountain of love that never ceases to pour from my heavenly Father. I want to find again the faith of a little child & add to it godly wisdom. I want to sift my thoughts and remove the worldly focus and replace it with more and more truth that comes from the Word of God. I want to learn to remain in the love of my Savior and obey Him with my whole life.
And may the promise of John 15:11 be made alive in my life and yours: "I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete."

joyful Roxanna

Alex with his ever present joyful smile!

Laughter was always on his smiling lips!

No comments: