Friday, May 27, 2011

Blessings Beyond Expectation

"Give thanks to the Lord, call on His name; make known among the nations what He has done." Psalm 105:1

I'm sitting here reflecting on my blessings and honestly, I'm a bit overwhelmed! Now that I typed that, the song "count your blessings" is playing in my head! :)

First recent blessing is that I finished my time at Grace Children's Home strong; I was able to work hard and stay focused until the end and feel extremely loved by all of the people there.  I was delightfully shocked by the time, effort, and love that was put into sending me off with much reminiscing, celebrating and yes some tears.  It was so hard to leave and know that I wasn't going to have the same role in the lives of so many people I love, but I know God is at work in their lives as well as mine.

Second blessing: everything fit in my car and my brother's pick-up so that my parents could move me home. My parents and little brothers were a huge blessing in helping me pack and movie back home! God also boldly reminded me that I need to sort through my over-abundance of possessions and bless others instead of filling my closet to the brim. I'm actually feeling excited at the thought of eliminating some of the needless items I have accumulated. I hope I can continue learning to live out a life of simplicity and learning to discern more accurately the difference between a want an a need.

On Tuesday I began my trip toward Kentucky for my missions training. I spent a couple days in St. Louis visiting my roommate from freshman year in college Megan and her adorable son Eli, who calls me Auntie Lys! It was wonderful to spend some time with them, relax, and just enjoy life together for a couple days. Megan is a great friend who I appreciate so much! She always encourages me to enjoy the blessings in my life. She is a wonderful mother and friend!

Now, I'm in Muncie, Indiana visiting another dear friend, Tiffany and her little boy Fisher who is six months old! Tiffany is a wonderful friend and mentor and I appreciate her wisdom and point of view on life as a wife and mother. I'm excited to spend time with her before I go on the my training that begins on Saturday.  

These are just two of the many encouraging and wonderful friends God has blessed me with! I have no biological sisters, but the sisters in Christ I have been blessed with never cease to amaze me!  They are gifts from God and I'm so thankful for all of the phone calls, letters, emails, and texts that I have been receiving in the last few weeks/months as I prepare for going to Romania!

Another blessing I've been encouraged by this week,and always really, is my family.  Mom got me all prepared and set up with lots of healthy snacks for my road trip, including homemade zucchini bread! Dad helped load the car and drove to meet me a few miles out of town when I forgot something important!  My brother blessed me with a more dependable car to take on this trip! I've been very blessed with avoiding the storms during my driving time! The weather report was delightfully incorrect during my travel time to St. Louis where I only used the windshield wipers for about 10 minutes. Such a comfort for me and all the worriers who are nervous that I'm traveling "so far alone".  I'm not sure what they are going to do when I actually leave for Romania in less than a month!

Another huge blessing is that I have 73% of my support raised!!! Praise the Lord!!! I'm feeling so blessed and encouraged by all of the people who are letting God use them as a part of my mission trip to Romania. I pray that God continues to bless and encourage them abundantly!

I'm excited about my training and hoping it will be a time where God builds me up in preparation for what He has in store for me in Romania. I know that there will be many surprises, but God is faithful and I am confidant that He who began a good work in me will carry it out to completion. May God be blessed through all these blessings of mine!

Now here are some pictures of my cutie nephews! I feel like such a bragging Auntie, but come on! Look at them! 

Trying to get a good picture with Auntie Lys
but Eli was being a little stinker...but such a cute one!

Caught a good smile he was aiming at mommy

Having fun in his wagon!
Fisher being silly in his bumbo
A little drool and some big eyes for the camera!

No comments: